I don’t really like to think about the history between Texas Tech and Iowa State. Yes, Texas Tech has won 8 out of their 11 matchups with the Cyclones, but I still have nightmares of Seneca Wallace running over 70 yards total for a touchdown when the play started at their own 11 yardline.
In case you need a reminder, he snapped the ball on the left hashmark on the 11 yard line, ran all the way back to his own 32, all the way to the right sideline, cut back up field to the 9 yard line before running all the way back across the field to the left sideline to score, and legend has it, that if you are in Iowa to this day, on a cold and moonlight night you can still see him running on Greg McMackin’s defense.
Luckily, for Texas Tech, there hasn’t been much else for the Cyclones to celebrate (I’m not going into the Tommy Tuberville games). This series started in 1967 with a 52-0 Red Raider victory in Lubbock. They met again in 1974 with a 24-3 Red Raider victory, and didn’t meet again until the Big 12 conference was formed.
- Texas Tech has averaged 32.4 ppg against the Cyclones, while Iowa State has averaged 22 ppg against the Red Raiders.
- Texas Tech’s longest winning streak is 4 games from 1967-1999, while the Cyclones won 2 in a row from 2010-11.
- This will be the 2nd matchup between the two schools when Tech is ranked, with Tech losing the first one 41-7 to Iowa State. Iowa State has been ranked once, winning 31-17 in 2002.
- Texas Tech is 5-1 against the Cyclones in Lubbock, and 3-2 in Ames.
- Kliff Kingsbury has faced the Cyclones one time as a starting QB, losing 31-17 in 2002.
- This will be the 7th matchup of the two schools in October, with the series tied 3-3. Tech is 4-0 in September, and 1-0 in November against the Cyclones.
- It is homecoming for the Red Raiders, where they are 51-29-3 all time in homecoming games.
- Texas Tech will be the first ranked team Iowa State has played this season. They are 1-3 with losses to Northern Iowa, Iowa, and Texas.
- Iowa State is one of four teams to beat a ranked opponent on the road in the last 3 seasons. (Ohio State, Oregon, Alabama)
- Iowa State is 6-84-1 on the road against ranked opponents, but Coach Rhoads has 3 of those wins under his belt (2010 at # 22 Texas, 2011 at # 19 Texas Tech, 2012 at #23 TCU)
- Iowa State has not allowed a team to score over 40 points in regulation against them since 2011 vs Missouri.