As summer approaches, the recruiting season is really beginning to heat up. Lets take a look at Texas Tech football recruiting for the past week.
QB- Jarrett Stidham: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish offered Stidham last week, which adds on to his impressive offer list. Although an offer from a program like Notre Dame is always one that recruits think long and hard about, Stidham is about as solid to the Red Raiders as you can get.
Just got offered by Notre Dame! #Irish
— Jarrett Stidham (@Jarrett_Stidham) June 5, 2014
RB- Corey Dauphine: The 6-foot, 185-pound running back out of Port Arthur, TX recently visited a Baylor camp and the Bears are really vying for his commitment. Dauphine’s stock has continued to rise and programs are starting to offer the speedster left and right.
OL- Trace Ellison: The three start recruit out of Frisco, TX continues to fly under the radar in his recruitment process. Ellison has stayed committed since his pledge to the Red Raiders back in March.
OL- Lio Lafaele: The 6-foot-4, 310-pound JUCO offensive lineman out of Corona, CA hasn’t added any new offers since our last update, but the Press Enterprise wrote an article detailing the Riverside Community College’s returning starters and how Lafaele is a big part of the teams success. ATH- Jonathan Giles: Giles hasn’t received any new offers since our last update, but he is excited about the baseball team heading to Omaha next week:
LB- D’Vonta Hinton: As a guy who has picked up several offers in the last few months, Hinton is still solid to Tech and can be seen here with fellow Red Raider commit Jonathan Giles:
DT- Breiden Fehoko: Fehoko will be preparing to enter “The Opening” with fellow Red Raider commit Jarrett Stidham this summer, but Fehoko is about as solid as you can get to Tech as he heads into his senior season of high school.
Five recruits to watch:
1. WR Tyron Johnson- Johnson is one of the highest recruited wide receivers in the nation, and being from New Orleans, LA, he has been assumed to be an LSU lean from the get go. Recently though, Johnson has expressed a lot of interest in Texas Tech and also was at the Rivals.com 100 invitational this past week:
2. RB/WR Kirk Merritt- Another Louisiana native, Merritt has Texas Tech listed as one of his top choices on several recruiting websites and holds offers from Alabama, LSU, TCU, Texas A&M and many more. He may not be a Tech lean, but the Red Raiders have been in on him early as they offered back in January.
3. OL Conner Dyer- The 6-foot-4, 275-pound offensive tackle from Mesquite, TX has had Tech in his top lists of schools for quite a while now and offered him all the way back in May of 2013 and were the first to offer. He recently attended one of Tech’s satellite camps, here he is with his “guns up”.
— Damon Sayles (@DamonSayles) June 9, 2014
4. WR Jaelan Austin- Austin named Texas Tech as his leader in his recruitment process back in March, but has yet to pull the trigger and commit to the Red Raiders. He’s also looking at Illinois, Ole Miss and Nebraska, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see him commit to Tech over the summer.
5. DT Fred Ulu-Perry- The Hawaiian connection would be evident if the Red Raiders could land Ulu-Perry along with current commit Breiden Fehoko. The 6-foot-2, 300-pound defensive tackle out of Honolulu holds offers from Washington State, Washington, Arizona State, Utah and more. Tech could use a 1-2 punch of Fehoko-Perry in this recruiting class, and its not unlikely that may happen.
Tags: Texas Tech Red Raiders